The predecessor of the Lao Microfinance Association (LMFA), the Microfinance Working Group for the Lao PDR (MFWG), was founded in May 2007 by a group of microfinance practitioners as an informal platform to exchange experiences, represent microfinance sector interests and coordinate donor activities.
In October 2013, the MFWG obtained its temporary license as a non-profit association (NPA) from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA). As a consequence, its name changed to Microfinance Association (LMFA). LMFA got its permanent license by middle of August 2018.
The Lao Microfinance Association (LMFA) is promoting financial inclusion for low-income populations through consolidation and professionalization of the Lao’s inclusive finance sector. It works under the Bank of the Lao PDR (BOL), Financial Institutions Supervision Department (FISD).
ADA, a Luxembourg-based microfinance NGO, in partnership with LMFA has been mandated by LuxDev to manage the implementation of village credit schemes (VCS) in four provinces (Bokeo, Vientiane, Bolikhamxay and Khammouane) and to establish the organisational and technical conditions to ensure their adequate management and sustainability. The registration of the Network Support Organization (NSO) of the VCS as a Savings and Credit Union (SCU) by the Bank of Lao PDR is currently in process.
LMFA is looking for a Savings and Credit Union Operations Consultant to work alongside ADA Technical Consultant and LMFA project team in strengthening the NSO in Bolikhan- Saving and Credit Union Soumson Phatthana, based in Bolikan, Bolikhamxay province by professionalizing its operations and building capacity of the team to ensure its long-term sustainability.
Under the guidance of the Executive Director of LMFA and in close working cooperation and coordination with the ADA Technical Consultant, the SCU Consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Deliver technical assistance to the SCU team in Bolikhan, Bolikhamxay province;
- Provide coaching, mentoring and other related Technical Assistance activities – specifically responsible to support the SCU team in developing internal procedures, monitor accounting and internal control compliance and ensure adherence of the team;
- Assist and provide support in all communication related tasks especially in organizing of activities, coordination and monitoring activities of the TA with LMFA and the SCU in Bolikhan and with other project stakeholders;
- Work side-by-side with the SCU General Manager to improve SCU operations and ensure performance standards set by the regulator are met;
- Support and assist in LMFA in the preparation (including translation) of training and other capacity building materials;
- Prepare monthly plan of activities with the SCU and report on the monthly progress of the achievement of such activities;
- Maintain a good knowledge of the microfinance sector by reading relevant journals, going to meetings and attending relevant courses;
- Perform other related tasks as requested.
Qualifications and Skills:
- University degree or strong professional experience in banking, economics, business administration or other related areas;
- Deep knowledge of operations and management of SCU or similar organizations with preferably a focus on accounting and internal control;
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability and willingness to work in a team;
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with various projects stakeholders;
- Good verbal and written communication skills both in English and Lao;
- Good computer literacy;
- Willingness to travel regularly to the villages and districts covered by the project
- Position open to Lao nationals or resident with a regular work permit
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Duration: until 31 December 2021 with possible extension
- Location: Bolikhan district, Bolikhamxay province
Interested individuals should submit a full application and updated CV citing reference number of this call for expert before 25 August 2021 to:
Lao Microfinance Association (LMFA)
Unit 14, Amone Village, Xaysetha District, P.O.Box: 4030, Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR
Tel: +856 20 9962 6456
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.