The MFA is operating in the following main areas:
1. Knowledge Management/Coordination
a) Publication and information
- Website in English and Lao that is up to date and includes comprehensive information on micro-finance activities in Lao PDR as well as association activities
- Update MFA activities on Facebook, and put documents to share on Dropbox
- Bi-annual newsletter – in English and Lao
- Publish MFA Annual activity and audit reports
- Produce PR materials (annual calendar, T-shirts, hats, bags, pens, etc)
- Update member/investor directory
- MFA brochure; Future plan to prepare/publish member MFI brochure
- Develop and maintain library with a list and code of publication documents
- Translation of relevant documents and studies into Lao and vice versa
b) Performance Monitoring
- Performance Monitoring System – collecting analyzing and publishing financial performance data from MFI members.
- To date approximately 50% of member MFIs participate. Processed data are provided to the MIX Market by the MFA.
c) Meetings/external visitors
- Quarterly member technical meetings (Future invite Donors/Investors to join present their products/offers – investor’s fair)
- Receive external visitors (donors, investors, interested guests), provide information and guidance to these potential (social) investors and facilitate and linkup investors with member MFIs
2. Capacity Building
- Brokerage of training and workshops based on demand and subject to the availability of resources
- Organize training, study exposure visits and workshops according to the demand/need of members/sectors;
- Secure funding for, design & develop, and implement delivery of a Micro-finance Management Certificate Course (MFMCC)
- Facilitate the introduction of a Micro-insurance product (credit life) in Laos;
- Conduct social audits using the CERISE SPI tool;
- Bi-annual manager meetings (CEO club) for MFI members;
- Introduce Client protection principles (SMART CAMPAIGN) for MFI members;
- Plan (3rd Quarter) to organize job fairs in Vientiane Capital and in the provinces where MFI members are located (exact location to be identified).
3. Advocacy and Representation
- Exchange information and documents and conduct regular formal and informal meetings with BOL;
- Comment on legal, regulatory and administrative documents prepared by BOL or other public entities based on feedback from member MFIs
- Develop and implement a Code of Ethics for member MFIs
4. Organizational Development
- The MFA seeks to adequately develop its institutional resources and to mobilize sufficient funding in order to run the network sustainably.
- Moreover, it strives to be sufficiently staffed and to have professional staff and a qualified Board of Directors to be able to achieve the objectives defined in its Strategic and Business Plan.
- Plan to provide services in HR management & Administration/management to MFI members (starting 2ndQuarter).
- MFA strives to become a professional and sustainable organization representing the industry interests
MFA provides its services as consultancy and conducts trainings on varieties of topics such as:
- Provide training on Project/ effective office management, Fund Raising, Leadership, Human Resources Management and Workshop Facilitation, accounting, SME for member’s clients and financial education…
- Support in writing Staff-, operating and others Microfinance handbooks
- Brokerage and organization of training/workshops/events
- Processing and bench-marking of MFI performance data and facilitating access to the Mix Market
- Dissemination of information, studies and good practices relevant for the sector (MFA Website, Newsletter, Email service, Member meetings)
- Translation of relevant documents and studies into Lao
- Organizing feedback sessions for MFIs regarding policies, regulations, guidelines, etc. prepared by the regulatory and supervisory authority (Advocacy)
- Information and guidance to potential (social) investors and facilitating and linking up investors with member MFIs
- Conducting social audits for MFIs (CERISE SPI tool)