SCU Vanmai is a fast-growing microfinance organization with 30 employees and a network of almost 150 village banks supported by SCU Vanmai. The support includes personal support on each opening day, advice on loan decisions. The entire network of SCU Van Mai comprises total assets of LAK 93 billion and a volume of 72 billion outstanding loans to members. This business volume and the number of customers in the village banks require qualified support. This is ensured through the use of well-trained staff. SCU Van Mai is looking for a qualified and performance-oriented Head of Accounting to strengthen its team.
The Head of Accounting is a strategic executive thought-partner, and reports to the Managing Director (MD). The person must be hands-on and participative and will lead, develop and manage internal systems to support the following areas: finance, accounting, facility management, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT. The Head of Accounting plays a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as SCU Vanmai continues to enhance its lines of business and build capacity.
Duties and responsibilities
- Prepare, Analyze, present and sign all monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly quarterly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all business lines, and oversee all financial accounting.
- Prepares the following monthly reports, analyzes, explains, and sends them to the respective authorities
- Monthly VAT tax report
- Monthly withhold salary income tax report
- Monthly report to regulating office of BoL (Bank of Lao)
- Monthly business progress report
- Monthly update fixed asset schedule list
- Monthly report to LMFA
- Quarterly profit tax report
- Coordinate and lead the quarterly internal audit and the annual external audit process, liaise with external auditors and the MD; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the MD; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep MD abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Recommend updates to and implement all approved business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the MD.
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of the accounting department including:
- month and end-year process
- accounts payable/receivable
- cash receipts
- general ledger
- payroll and utilities
- treasury, budgeting
- cash forecasting
- revenue and expenditure variance analysis
- Capital asset reconciliation
- Trust account statement reconciliations
- Check runs
- Fixed asset activity
- Dept activity
- Write off functions
- Calculate, monitor depreciation of fixed assets and fixed asset schedule
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
- At least 3-5 years of overall professional experience; ideally 3-plus years of broad financial, accounting and operations management experience
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, accounting software and databases
- Proven knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles, practices, standards, laws and regulations
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to direct and supervise
- Carry final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – all colleagues who do not necessarily have finance and accounting background backgrounds
- Technology savvy with ability to oversee software installations and managing relationships with software and hardware vendors
- strong knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent written communication skills in Lao and English
- High comfort and tolerance to manage stress and role demands
- Strong interpersonal skills and the proven ability to provide leadership to a team and to work in a team environment
- Has interpersonal qualities necessary to generate enthusiasm, integrity and build consensus with direct reports and staff members
- A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, confidentiality, and dedication to the mission of SCU VanMai
Your place of employment will be the provincial capital Salavan. Salavan is located in the south of Lao PDR and is easy to get via Pakse Airport – approx. 1 hour drive. The province of Salavan is surrounded by many tourist destinations, Tad Loh and the Boulevan plateau with its unique waterfalls. In the middle distance you will find the cultural facilities Vat Phou and Vat Phou ASA. The 4000 islands can also be reached quickly and easily. Nevertheless, this position may require occasional evening and weekend work, light travel, and working with challenging clients.
To apply send a cover letter, CV with 3 professional references, and salary history, in English, to:
SCU Vanmai Manager, Salavan, Nadone Village, Salavan District, Salavan Province, Lao PDR
or send email to :email@example.com,
with Subject: Head of Accounting.
Only shortlisted will be notified. Application closing date is 31.08.2021.