The predecessor of the Lao Microfinance Association (LMFA), the Microfinance Working Group for the Lao PDR (MFWG), was founded in May 2007 by a group of microfinance practitioners as an informal platform to exchange experience, represent microfinance sector interests and coordinate donor activities. In October 2013, the MFWG obtained its temporary license as a non-profit association (NPA) from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA). As a consequence, its name changed to Lao Microfinance Association (LMFA). LMFA got its permanent license by middle of August 2018. LMFA works under the Bank of the Lao PDR (BOL), Financial Institutions Supervision Department (FISD).
LMFA counts 27 employees specialized in different areas of work and located in different provinces. One of these areas will be especially oriented toward supporting the enforcement of laws and regulations in to enhance transparency and safety of operations within Microfinance Institutions (MFIs). Therefore, LMFA is currently looking for a qualified person who can perform the tasks of Legal Advisor.
We are looking for a Junior Legal Advisor who can perform the tasks of Legal Advisor.
The Legal Advisor will support in reviewing and analyzing the existing legal framework in order to ensure that updated and correct information is regularly delivered to all members of LMFA and that all upcoming law related questions are professionally dealt with in order to provide legal solutions to the members. Above this, viable and concrete recommendations have to be elaborated regarding future law reforms.
- Be constantly updated about all relevant laws, decrees and internal or external regulations and promptly inform MFIs about changes or news in the legal framework – in particular MFI and banking related set of rules, accounting and audit regulations, contract law, different tax laws and regulations on social security fund as well as penal laws;
- Assist MFIs with amendments and/or modifications of internal regulations and check those regulations to the legal approach against the background of higher-ranking laws;
- Advise the MFIs on any upcoming legal issues and support the communication between the MFIs and legal companies in case a more detailed legal support is required;
- Support MFIs regarding lawful business operations to improve transparency and safety in the MFI
- Closely cooperate with accounting and audit personal to ensure that all operations and activities are carried out respecting the law;
- Other tasks which are delegated by the LMFA management.
Requirements (education/qualification, professional experience):
- University / Bachelor’s degree in law, study in the circumstances of roman Law will be an advantage
- At least 2 years of working experience in a legal firm, preferably internationally recognized
- Understanding of finance principles and good knowledge of the related legal framework
- Previous experience with the financial sector will be an advantage
- Good knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Be able to travel to the target provinces
- Well organized and independent work style
- Team player and excellent communication skills
- Willingness to perform well, and to provide a high level of commitment
- Be able to well communicate written and vocal in English and Lao
Vientiane with the possibility to travel to the provinces
As soon as possible
To apply send a cover letter, CV with 3 professional references, and salary history, in English to:
Lao Microfinance Association (LMFA)
Unit 14, Amone Village, Saysettha District, P.O. Box: 4030, Vientiane Capital, Lao P D R
Only shortlisted will be notified. Application closing date is 29.05.2022